Wednesday 2 May 2012

Say Anything - Anarchy, My Dear


Hey so....this is my first entry for PYP so hopefully it isn't too bad...

This is a short review on the Amercian Emo-Punk/Rock band Say Anything and their latest studio album "Anarchy My Dear". 

Say Anything is the brain child of singer-song writer Max Bemis.
The latest album "Anarchy, My Dear" is the bands fifth studio album and was released just a few months ago.
At this point Ill point out that Say Anything are one of my favorite bands so ill try and not be too biased.

From the moment I listened to the first few tracks "Anarchy, My Dear" has a very different sounds from the albums before, As the title may suggest I was expecting a fast/angry sound but bar the exceptions ("Burn A Miracle" and "Admit It Again") the album its quite slow and has a relaxed feel about it.
A lot of fans who got into Say Anything on their first couple of studio albums may claim they have sold out or lost their edge because its not as angry as their second (and probably most popular) album "...Is A Real Boy".
This album may not have the same feel to the earlier albums that people feel in love with but these albums have been solely written by Bemis, each of the album almost tells a story about whats been happening to him in his life at that time.

"Baseball" - Released when the original line up were in highschool, so the album has a very anxiety feel too it, songs mostly about the teenage angst and having your heart broken for the first time.

"...Is A Real Boy" - Written when Bemis was suffering from his Bi-polar and social anxiety, which bought about the anger and songs of alienation which people fell in love with.

"In Defense of The Genre" - Written and released just after Bemis' first break down and major break-up with a girlfriend - songs still have the angry/heartache fans have become accustom too.

"Say Anything" - Written and release after Bemis spent almost a year recovering from him illness. this is were his music starts to mature, during the writing of this album Bemis had married and spend a lot time thinking about this life and religion.

I find it refreshing almost that a band can keep playing songs that mean something to them without worrying what the narrow minded fans who cant get over "...Is A Real Boy".

"Anarchy, My Dear" In my eyes is a great album start to finish, over the last 5 albums Bemis hasn't lost his ability to write lyrically great songs. 
Bemis' lyrics remain complex but at the same time comedic, anyone that can put  "Don't wanna hear about how the latest Rihanna single is a post-modern masterpieceStop punishing me!" (Admit It Again)
In a song is truly a lyrical genius.

Overall Id easily give this album 8/10 I enjoy listening to it on an almost daily basis, the only negative thing I'd have to say about it is that the last few songs almost drift away, they aren't overly exciting to make me want to listen to them over again as with the rest of the album.

So yeaaah hopefully you enjoyed reading this and didnt get too lost...
Im sure I'll get better at this as we post more.

Stewart.

No comments:

Post a Comment